Friday, January 30, 2009

Butter Horns (Dinner Rolls)

Ingredients:

  • 1 package yeast (1-1/2 TB)
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
Directions:

  1. Mix together yeast and 1 TB sugar. Beat in eggs with warm water. Let stand 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar, butter, salt and flour. *Our favorite is 4 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour.* Knead well. Let stand in refrigerator overnight.
  2. Divide into 2 parts and roll out each into a 12-inch circle. Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up, starting with wide side. Let rise 3-4 hours. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes. Brush with butter. Serve warm.

**I do the above a bit differently. After mixing/kneading, I don't put in refrigerator. If I'm going to bake them in 3-4 hours, I roll them out, cut into wedges, roll them up and put them on pans and cover with a cloth until ready to bake. Or...if I'm making them a day or two ahead of time, I roll them out, cut into wedges, roll them up and place on pan. Then put the pan, uncovered, in the freezer. Once frozen, I remove them from the pan and place them in freezer bags. The day I need them, I remove them from the freezer about 6 hours ahead of time; place them on the baking pan, cover them and let them rise. (It was sister workers that gave me this hint.) They still taste as good after being frozen.**

Recipe from Cara R, one of the friends in Michigan.

No comments: