- 8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped green onion (to taste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup, 4 ounces), softened to the point of being slightly melted
- 1 to 2 loaves of French or Italian bread, depending on the size of the loaves
- In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses and the green onion. Stir in the mayonnaise and sour cream.
- In a separate small bowl blend the butter and garlic until smooth. Add the butter mixture to the cheese mixture.
- Preheat broiler. Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally, lay crust side down.
- Spread cheese mixture over the bread. Place under the broiler until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from broiler and let sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice the bread with a bread knife. Serve.
- Makes 30 to 40 slices.