- 2 cups flour or 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 7 egg yolks (with all purpose flour or 5 egg yolks with cake flour)
- 1 cup egg whites (about 8)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Move oven rack to lowest position.
- Heat oven to 325.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in water, oil, vanilla, lemon peel and egg yolks with spoon until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually pour egg yolk mixture over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just until blended.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan, 10x4.
- Bake about 1 1/4 hours or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately turn pan upside down into glass bottle or metal funnel.
- Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool.
- Remove from pan.
- Glaze with Lemon Glaze if desired.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons hot water
Heat butter in 1 1/2 quart saucepan until melted. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and consistency of thick syrup. Glazes a 12-cup bundt cake or 10-inch angel food or chiffon cake. For Lemon Glaze: Add 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel to melted butter. Substitue lemon juice for the vanilla and water.