Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Ham & Asparagus Rollups with Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients:

  • Sliced ham - (I used large boiled rectangular pieces)
  • fresh asparagus, washed & trimmed
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup firm butter (not margarine or spreads)
Directions:

  1. Blanche asparagus for a couple minutes to slightly cook it - you don't want it mushy.
  2. Wrap 2-3 asparagus spears in a piece of ham.
  3. Place wrapped side down in a sprayed baking dish.
  4. Make Hollandaise sauce:

Stir egg yolks and lemon juice vigorously in 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Add 1/4 cup butter. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until butter is melted. Add remaining butter. Continue stirring vigorously until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. Be sure butter melts slowly as this gives eggs time to cook and thicken sauce without curdling.

5. Pour sauce over asparagus rolls and bake until warm & bubbly. 350 for about 15 minutes?

This is similar to how I made this recipe. I thought the Hollandaise sauce was very rich so I made a white sauce & mixed them together to thin it down a little. You could also add cheese.
We love this recipe! Mom used to make it at home but I think with a white sauce of some kind. Next time I make it I'll add a picture. This what we had for our visit last week. Whoops-I made it last time B was here (2 years ago)! She remembered it & thought it sounded good again so she didn't mind. It makes a nice light meal with a salad, fruit & bread.

(Hollandaise sauce from Betty Crocker Cookbook)

No comments: